Sunday, November 14, 2010

I’d Like My Ten Points SUPERSIZED Please



I’d Like My Ten Points SUPERSIZED Please
By: David Zardiashvili
I don’t like to think of myself as a confrontational person, but if you ask those that know me I am a person that will urge people to deliver if the result is obtainable. Whether the situation involved me in collecting money from clients, while running a self start up business, or gathering a clientele in a sales management position for debt consultant, I sometimes enjoy that fast paced, back and forth with my counters, more than achieving the actual goal. However, the goal that I’m fighting for must indeed be somewhat obtainable, to gain a complete assertive tone while formulating any order, I must believe that if that order were to be given to me I would be able to execute it. I am a strong believer that a firm, and assertive tone, with a little bit of charisma, will get people along side with you.   
With that ideology, I was excited to hear that I can earn myself 10 extra points on an exam, if I place an unordinary order in McDonalds, while observing and reporting how it was carried out. My task was to place an order from the Dollar Menu, for 1 hamburger with 5 pickles on it, plus well done fries, and a mac sauce on the side for dipping. The obtainment of the food was just a small part of what the McDonald’s employees were getting tested for. The big picture was not to see if they could chuck a handful of pickles on my burger, even if it’s more than five, but to execute it precisely as it was given and provide a receipt that states my order in black and white.
Unfortunately due to my eagerness and lack of attention, I wanted to be the first one done with this assignment and therefore, I missed the details and the big picture. I ended up doing it twice. The first time it was a smooth process, where only one person took my order and took the initiative to go to the back and tell them “exactly five pickles.” However due to my inattentiveness, I did not notice that the receipt did not reflect the order. The receipt simply said “Pickles” once, and I only noticed that at home. The professor had specified that the pickle order must be written out in one of two ways, either “5 extra pickles” or the word pickle 5 times.
A few days later I went back, as if it was my first time, and had placed the order again. The cashier taking my order explained that she can only hit the pickle button once, and she will go back to make sure there are at least 5 pickles on the burger. I had assured her that she in fact can press that button 5 times, and once they see it on the order screen they will get the clue. I can only assume that she was a trainee, because as we were going back and forth, a line started formulating behind me and some one of seniority had come to help her. It was not a manager though simply someone who has put in more hours. The girl explained to her that it is okay and to go through with it. Further I started placing an order for the well done fries and the mac sauce, at which point I have lost both of them, when they told me they cannot do that. As I said prior, if I know that the goal is obtainable, I will go to Pandora and back if I must. I knew the mac sauce was not only obtainable but they certainly had a button for it because on my first attempt in the same McDonalds I had received the order and a printed receipt reflecting it. Same goes for the “well” button when it came to the fries. I had told them that I wouldn’t want to get a manger involve (so not true), and if they would be a little more attentive and look on the key board they will find that button.  Sure enough they had and they looked at me as if I discovered the promise land.
Although reading this, one may think it was a tedious process, I am simply dissecting it to minor details which unfortunately exaggerate the duration of the process. I walked up to the register with my palm covering my cell phone, on which a voice recorder was turned on. Aside from the interest of receiving 10 extra points, I really wanted to take advantage of this and see how it will work out. Luckily, from walking up to the counter, placing and receiving the order, only took 2 minutes and 46 seconds.     
It was quick, and McDonalds still held up in the race towards fast food. Nonetheless, the order was placed by someone who knew what he is talking about. How about the mass numbers who may want something and get bamboozled by the bottom floor employee when they are told it is not possible.
I deliberately went to the same McDonalds, to see if all the staff is reading the same training manual. Clearly that was not the case. If I were to be a management consultant for that McDonalds, I would urge for all to be trained before they are released on the front lines of order taking. As I have stated before on my second visit an employee was trying to assure me that there was no mac sauce button, nor is placing that order allowed. I didn’t want to ruin the control of this experiment but I wish I could have just told her it was my second time, and someone already has processed that for me. Their training was not up to par, but they have executed the task of communication well. Whether it was between the employee and the client (I) or between the two workers, everyone kept patient and explanations were well communicated.  Regretfully, in terms of this project, I had no need to communicate with the manager. The bottom line workers had performed well. I can only judge what I have seen in terms of communication and they have carried themselves well.
When it came to organization and leadership, it was clear, that those who had seniority had to keep an eye on “fresh meat”. The employee who helped out with placing the five pickles rushed over when she saw the need, kept her cool and helped maintain a comfort zone for the new employee. This did not only portray her leadership skills, in terms of bailing out her co workers and sharing her knowledge, but also illustrated a well structured organization. Although it may be by chance that I walked up to the right register at the right time, I can only report what I had observed. Nevertheless, I will say that although the McDonalds that I have visited is capable of executing special orders per se, the employees on an individual level are not.
This assignment has once again shown me that the most important part of giving an order is the way you give it. Regardless of if it’s in a restaurant, to your subordinates, or arguing with your phone company, assertive firm and confident is the way to go. One must not be over enthusiastic and high set stretch goals, but learn the task inside out, believe that is not “unobtanium”, and take a hold of it.  

1 comment:

  1. From what its seems like a lot of us unfortunately had to do this assignment more then once. I know for sure I did as I also wanted to get it done and out of the way. I didn't realize that they had not put "well-done fries" on my receipt and had to go back and try it again. The next time, the manager had to get involved but eventually it worked out. It was a good way of learning how the management process works.

    ReplyDelete