Sunday, October 31, 2010

If You Can See It There Is A Way To Reach It

On Wednesday's class we watched a motivational film "Power of Vision". The film was open for an individualistic interpretation, or success for masses. The quote that grabbed my attention was when the narrator asked the viewers is it "nation's positive view that delivers success or is it vice verse?" There was a comparison between adolescents who were doing well in school and were goal oriented vs. those who were barely getting by with their grades, with no substantial vision of their future. This made me reminisce a time in my life just a few years ago, when I truly didn't know what I want to do. Due to the foggy view of the future, I lacked ambition to do well even in classes that were mandatory for any path, and that only creates a path for a disaster. I believe that life is like a highway some drive fast, some slow, some reckless, but regardless of how you are driving, if you don't know where your going, you will never take the right exits. Through this idealism I have adapted to something that resembles, what the narrator has told the viewers to do. To be successful we need to A. get a vision, B. Get support for vision, C. make vision a reality. In my junior year of my first path for an undergrad degree, I decided to research Law schools, and get on the road for a law career. Seeing how that is a broad career path a narrowed it down to corporate law, and decided upon graduating John Jay, with a Legal studies degree to pursue business degree in Baruch. To lay out my personal business goal punctually, I would like to get my finance degree, and begin working in a corporate setting using the knowledge and skills that I have obtained in school and internships. In a few years after experiencing a department other then legal, I would like to make shift into law school to pursue my JD.
       After creating this image in my head and envisioning it as a reality, I have noticed a drastic increase in my grades, view life as a canvas, and the ride is certainly smoother on the "highway".

5 comments:

  1. Lol you're like the only person that did the blog assignment early. Let me start by thanking you for allowing me to get this commenting thing out of the way.

    The way you're going about pursuing a career in corporate law is rather innovative. As employer's always say, education is necessary, but experience and application is what sets you apart. Getting experience in the corporate environment will definitely help you in your corporate law career. Personally I loved working for a broker-dealer firm my first year. I have my series 7, 6, 63, and Life & Annuities licenses. I have to warn you though, I got really bored with it after 2 years, to the point where I hated my job because it became so redundant. With that being said, it's a great thing that you're planning to do something else (corporate law) after you get some experience in finance. I think a career in finance would bore anyone, and it's more of a stepping stone to loftier goals, rather than a long term career objective. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you are interested in law but are also choosing to work towards a finance degree. Sometimes you think you know exactly what you want to do in life and then one day you begin to question if you're really going to enjoy doing this for the rest of your life. In your case, you have alternatives to fall back on in the future if you get tired of law or wish to pursue another career in the business field. It seems like you have your vision set, now all you have to do is take action. Good luck with all your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find the combination you chose quite interesting.It is always good to have expertise in more than one field especially during recession.
    I agree that life is a highway especially in NYC and like in every highway there is a lot of traffic so in order to be the first you have to maintain good grades and earn as much exprience as you can get. Thats why I believe an internship is a great idea.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I experienced something similar. When I lacked a defined goal everything in my life suffered, but when I made some decisions good things seemed to happen. Just by changing the outlook or by focusing on something that was outside of my self everything from my mood to relationships became better. You are probably under 25 and are going to have two undergraduate degrees would suggest that you have had your goals planned and are your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the thing that if you don’t know where you are driving you will never going to take the right exit. Vision is extremely important. That class probably was the only class I really liked and was inspired by, only because of the video. It really inspired me.

    ReplyDelete