Monday, November 15, 2010

the D the I the S the C its DISC

In management class we were asked to take a personality survey. I was always very skeptical of personality surveys, can these questions really summarize who i truly am? As the professor has given the example of raw or baked carrots survey, I looked at all survey that same way. However the "DISC Personality Assessment", it was fun to take and the combination of letter choices was impossible to figure out so I couldn't help but to set my mind free and put the most honest answers.  I was diagnosed Dc, not to be self critical but when i told people about it they said its right on the button. The professor himself said the D's are people who participate mostly and take charge, if he would know me outside of class he would also know that I like to be very analytical, and observe everything to the smallest detail. To say whether or not I wish my diagnosis was different is difficult. I feel as if I have been this way for the better part of my life, as you may have read in my McDonald's post I am a fan of being demanding (not overbearing though). I have given this survey to several close people to me, people that I have known for years, after  seeing how accurate their results were I definitely complied with mine. Nonetheless I do believe people have power to change their ways, I am not exactly sure what answer choice gave me my results, but for instance i haven't answered that I am mostly generous on a single question. Maybe its food for thought in terms of becoming more generous. I'm sure some have answered that they have fear, overpowering those fears will switch one to another grouping. I definetly plan on using this test on more serious issues then just testing my friends. I believe it is good to know someone before approaching them especially when delivering a demand to your subordinates. I have read a little extra online in terms of assessing those people who are the D, I, S, and the C.  The information that I have read confirmed what I always thought, people subconsciously are sensitive to the way they are approached. Some like the "what" questions while other despise them and only answer to "how's". I really did enjoy this quiz and the opportunity to use it outside of class.

5 comments:

  1. I also ended up being a Dc. I think for the most part this style describes me best but there are some parts I think I may not totally agree with. I thought this was an interesting test to assess different personality types and see what kind of managers or leaders each of us will someday make. As you said, I think its also a good way for us to maybe determine which areas we may need to work on. I think this assessment can be useful to more fully understand people and how you can establish a relationship with different styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After working with you in class, I can agree that you are a Dc. You tend to be the most vocal in group activities but at the same time, you also do analyze the more minor details which characterizes you as a c. I think I agree that this test can help one to realize how they may act subconsciously and perhaps how they can improve on certain qualities. It is also very helpful to know the personalities of those who you are working with becuase it can better help you in approaching them in a certain way or relating to them more effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell under the D-type also. Well, at first most of the people will see as a steady type because I can be quiet in certain circomstances but the truth is as you said they think so because I also tend to be analytical. In brief, the test was helpful to some extent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also was very suprised about the accuracy of the test. I was a Ic which is right on the money. I found it hillarious when the professor said the Ds are usually the ones who participate the most, and infact all the Ds were those people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also very skeptical about personality tests. which begs the question, are the results on point because we have a desired self-perception of ourselves in which we try to fulfill, and does this desired self-perception affect our answers? But there are instances where the tests are truly accurate that it is uncanny. However, the idea of one's personality still perplexes me.

    ReplyDelete